All Saints, Watermillock

Church Postcode: CA11 0LR

The parish of Watermillock lies along the northern shore of Ullswater. There is no village as such, most of the 400 or so residents living in scattered settlements on the better land to the east of  Knotts and Little Mell Fell. The current church building occupies a prominent site  about a mile from the lake at the foot of Priest’s Crag with magnificent views across to Arthur’s Pike and Loadpott Hill.

The parish church of All Saints is the fourth church building to serve the area. The original, dating to the early 13th century, was probably on the site of a private house known as ‘Oldchurch’ on the shores of Ullswater, near to Leeming House hotel.

By the mid 15th century the church was located on the site of what is now Gowbarrow Hall. This did not last very long before the ‘New Kirk’ was built on the present site, possibly some time before its consecration in 1558. This building was demolished and replaced by the current church in 1881.

Services at All Saints are generally held on the 2nd and 4th Sundays of each month at 10.30 a.m.

Please see the calendar for details.